Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Evil Lies Inside the Pantry

Exactly four-months after arriving in Melbourne, I find myself staring at the reflection in the mirror, wondering how I got myself this out of shape. Before I left Switzerland, I had actually lost quite a bit; but now, there is no trace left of all tha hard work and sacrifice. I have trouble zipping up my 'fat' jeans. The situation is out of control, but how did it get that way?

I go to the department store and purchase the most expensive German electronic scales I can find; one that breaks down your weight into persentages of fat, water and muscle mass.

When I get home and stand on the scales. Horrr! I estimate that since moving into my in-law's I've gained an average 0.58Kg per week!!! How is that possible?

Here's a sample inventory of what kind of 'food' is available at any given time in this house (the foloowing was all recorded on the same day!):

FOOD ON KITCHEN COUNTERS AND IN LIVING ROOM
- Provence-style bread sticks
- a whole chocolate sponge cake with butterscotch icing
- a dinner plate filled with french patisserie
- one fruit bowl filled with pistachio nuts
- a fish bowl of assorted novelty chocolates

FOOD INSIDE THE FRIDGE
- 300ml tub of double cream
- 200ml tub of regular cream
- a packet of toasted coconut marshmellows
- 2x bottles of maple syrup
- 3x 500ml bottles of coke
- 1x 500ml bottle of ginger ale
- 1x tub of ready-made pancake mix
- 1x bottle of white wine
- 1x six-pack of Carlton Extra Dry beer

FOOD INSIDE THE PANTRY
- 1x Panettone
- 2x boxes of assorted chocolates
- 1x Christmas Pudding
- 1x large Toblerone
- 1x 250g chocolate with orange flavour
- 4x packets of assorted crackers
- 1x spare pancake mix
- 1x torrone
- 1x large bag of macademia nuts
- 1x 250g mint chocolate
- 1x bag of chocolate chip cookies
- 1x packet of Orios
- 1x packet of chocholate Teddy Bears
- 2x packets of Tim Tams
- 1x box of Angel Slices
- 1 packet of Arnott's Triple Wafers

FREEZER
- various assorted meat pies
- various assorted individually-sized ice cream
- various assorted individually-sized sorbet